Monday, October 31, 2016

A perky cycling club for weekend warriors



For my last blog post this month, let me tell you something that happened more recently.

Last weekend, I was supposed to bike from Cavite to Manila in a planned tour of the city after more than a year (see previous blog entry).

On this particular route, I passed through Las Piñas City via Molino Dam, Zapote River Drive, Alabang-Zapote Road and Quirino Avenue. Just as I reached C-5 Extension Road in front of St. Ezekiel Moreno Church in Pulang Lupa, I chanced upon a jaw-dropping bicycle road race.

At first, it looked like professional road bikers in a major biking event that must have not known about. There were guards and marshals in motorcycles following and directing the peloton, so I was really convinced I ran through an major event without permission. But since no one tried to warn me and since cars and other passersby were still allowed to pass on the outer lane of the road, I kept pedaling. 

A few distances later, near the Petron station, were a group of bikers and viewers watching the race from the sidewalk. Behind them, a table with the race medals and prizes. A tarpaulin that clandestinely hung from the trees behind it said, "PERC: Philippine Executive Road Cycling Club." That's when I realized I chanced upon an official race of a well-known and established cycling club. I remembered having joined their Facebook group, but I didn't know they had a race that day or any races at all.

I stopped by the same curb and watched the race with childish enthusiasm. Took photos of the action each time the peloton passed in front of me. I also checked the medal table out. There were two categories: an Open category and a Managers, Big Boys and Women's category. Prizes were brand-new bike helmets, aside from the medals and trophies. I talked to one of the women near the medal table who told me that a certain Ernie was the brainchild of the event and that he was racing as well at that moment.

The weekly PERC tune-up race along C5 Extension Road
I waited until the race finished so I can interview the man himself and find out what this race is all about. As I waited, I also saw that many of the bikers were members of other cycling groups too like Franzia, Arctic PAGSS, Team Salic, among others.

After the race, everyone was in a jovial mood as they parked their bikes and caught up in each other's stories. One of the racers announced the race results, and each of the winners were called on the curb to receive their medals and prizes. It was then that I saw the man I was looking for: Ernesto Hortaleza, son of Hortaleza Salon, Beauty Products and Vaciador Cresencio Hortaleza.

According to Hortaleza, PERC is just a new bicycle club that's been in existence for around two months.

"We created this club for executives, managers, and employees who are looking for a weekend cycling experience to relieve their work stress. We organized these tune up races as a way to relieve that stress through competitiveness, sportsmanship and camaraderies," Hortaleza said.

He added that while the particular race was held in C5 Extension Road, there are plans to bring the race to other parts of the metro to reach more people.

PERC founder Ernie Hortaleza (first from right) with his wife and fellow cyclists
PERC is very open to blue and white collar professionals who want to join the club. You just have to present certain registration documents verifying your work details as well as pay a small membership fee. Their weekend tune up race also has a small registration fee of P100.

If you're a corporate executive or rank and file employee looking for a weekend race to vent out all your exhaustion, build your fitness and start an active lifestyle, PERC might be just the perky cycling club you're looking for.

Like The Pinoy Cyclist on Facebook:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular posts